Other Types of Financial Support | College of Science

COVID-19 updates—In an effort to keep everyone healthy, UNT's on-campus operations are closed until further notice. We're serving students remotely. Please stay connected. Stay up to date on UNT’s response to COVID-19 (Coronavirus) or read information specifically for COS students.

Have you registered for summer and fall classes yet? While COVID-19 has created some uncertainty for us all, UNT is committed to helping the Mean Green family turn dreams into reality. Let’s get through this together!

Register for classes on my.unt.edu
Not a UNT student yet? Apply to UNT
Having trouble registering? Get help from an advisor

Other Types of Financial Support

On-Campus Employment

Hourly employment exists at all levels at UNT which can be applied for independently of applying for financial aid. Not all departments list hourly positions with the Career Center student employment job posting database, so watch for job postings around campus.

Work Study jobs provide departments with incentive for hiring student employees. To apply for a work-study position complete or renew your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application and then review the Student Financial Aid & Scholarships' Work Study website to get started.

Teaching Fellows (TF) are usually graduate students who are the "instructor of record" (the person responsible for all aspects of classroom instruction and final grades) for one or more classes. Contact your department to find out about TF appointments available.

Teaching Assistants (TA) are usually graduate students who help "instructors of record" (instructors and faculty) by sometimes delivering instruction, proctoring exams, grading assignments, grading tests, and overall help during the semester. Contact your department for TA appointments available.

Graders are occasionally hired to fill in for a TA or TF. Graders must be well-versed in the subject they are grading. Contact your department for Grader appointments available.

Full Time (Salaried) Employment can be challenging so please consider the overall impact of working full time while studying and attending classes. UNT posts full time job options on the UNT HR Jobs web site.

Off-Campus Employment

Cooperative Education (Co-op) Positions tie academic objectives to practical, paid work experience. Some allow you to continue your studies while you work ("Parallel Co-op") while others have you or alternating work semesters with academic semesters ("Alternating Co-op"). Contact the Cooperative Education and Internships office to find out what you need to do to apply or prepare for a position in the future.

Internship Positions are similar to Co-op jobs, except they may or may not include payment. Contact the Cooperative Education and Internships office to find out what you need to do to apply now or prepare for a position in the future.


There is information on various loans at the UNT Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.


Stipends provide you the ability to work and grow in your discipline while taking regular classes. Academic departments may provide some student researchers (usually advanced graduate students) a regular sum of money in return for service (e.g., apprenticeship, research support, grading). Contact your department for more information.


To receive a grant, you usually need to demonstrate a financial need. As with scholarships, you do not need to repay grants. Learn more about grants at the UNT Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.

Thinking about UNT?

It's easy to apply online. Join us and discover why we're the choice of over 38,000 students.

Apply now