Other Student Resources | College of Science

Other Student Resources

Finding your way through the myriad resources available to UNT students can be difficult. So, we built a resource home for College of Science students! Below are some helpful guides and tools for addressing registration, advising, academic difficulty, and much more.

We've sorted these as best we can to help with the different types of struggles students in the College of Science most commonly face.

Academic Difficulty Planning Classes
Registration Issues Transfer Credit
Miscellaneous Common Terms

Academic Difficulty

Struggling in a class? We've got people for that!

  • Try out the dedicated tutors in the Learning Center.
    • The Math Lab is a specialized part of the Learning Center to help address all your calculation questions.
  • For Chemistry courses, try the Chemistry Resource Center.
    • Check their CRC Schedule under Hours of Operation to see when you can meet with a student who is a pro at the class that's giving you trouble.
  • Physics students can make use of the tutoring assistance in the Physics Instructional Center.

If you want to consider dropping a course, follow the steps below to see if it's the right option for you.

  1. Check on the appropriate Registration Guide to see when the last day to drop a course is.
    • Look for "Last day for a student to drop a course or all courses with a grade of W" and make sure you are looking in the appropriate column, typically the one marked "Full Term"
  2. If you receive Financial Aid of any kind, contact Student Financial Aid and Scholarships by emailing financialaid@unt.edu or scholarships@unt.edu or calling (940) 565-2302.
  3. Meet with an advisor to see what impact dropping a course will have on your degree plan: appointments.unt.edu

If you need to leave UNT for the semester, meaning you will drop all courses, our Dean of Students office can help. They handle all student-initiated withdrawals.

If you find yourself on Alert, Probation, or Suspension, learn more about your Academic Standing and how to improve.

Planning Classes for Next Semester

The most helpful way to plan out your courses for the upcoming semester is scheduling with the appropriate advisor.

When you are ready to take more of the planning for yourself, use these as a guide:

Reminder: Not every course is offered each semester. You can find some general calendars of offerings below.

Registration Issues

One major help here can be the UNT Registration Page, updated each semester as a general guide to all things registration!

Have a Hold? it'll show up on your MyUNT the right hand side. Click on them for more information.

Does your course need a code, or do you have all the prerequisites but can't enroll? Here's what to do for each department in COS.

Transferring Credit or Taking Courses at Community College

If you plan to transfer to UNT, use our Transfer Guides! These show what Texas community college courses are equivalent to UNT courses.

  • Choose College of Science in the College drop-down, or type your degree name in the search field.
  • You can also use the Registrar's Transfer page as a good starting point.

If you want to take some courses at a community college, work with your Academic Advisor to determine what you can take to progress towards your degree.

  • Refer to the Texas Common Core Numbering System for a quick guide on what course at UNT is equal to a course at most Texas Community Colleges.
  • Taking courses at a community college in your final semester at UNT will delay your graduation date to the next semester.

Miscellaneous Resources

  • Each student can take a Math Placement test to see what level Math course they can begin with.
  • CLEP Tests can be used to earn credit for select core, foreign language, Math and other courses.
  • If you attempt more than 150 credit hours in Texas schools, see the Excessive Hours guide for information regarding additional costs.
  • If you attempt more than 150 percent of your degree hours (typically180 credit hours) you may lose Financial Aid eligibility under the Maximum Hours rule.

Back to top.